There's a particular topic which I had been trying to avoid for some time now. But I know human are curious creatures and they keep wanting to know (again and again) why some people are not doing things their way.
For four years, I cannot escape the question as to why I have given up meat. When people ask me, I have no idea how to go about answering them. I used to try to state my reasons honestly but, to no avail. In recent years, when people ask again, I decided to give all sorts of answers just enough to entertain and satisfy them. Part of my answers are always honest. And as usual, I get mocked at. Some people just look at each other with a look on their faces that says "here's another dumb and shallow idoit who doesn't know much before resorting to an action".
My father commented at dinner time this evening that the caucasians launched animal protection campaigns for sharks because they are too stupid to cook and enjoy sharkfins. I told him it's not like that. He continued and insisted that it's their stupidity that has prevented them from hunting sharks. If they had tried eating sharkfins and learnt to cook them, they would have killed more than the chinese does. Before he went on to finish his sentence that sharks are born for us to eat, I screamed at him to shut up. For the rest of dinner, none of us spoke. All three of us. It's already bad enough that we're eating it.
We open our eyes every morning and we see the sun and the rain. We breathe in fresh air, smell the morning dew and hear the birds sing. By being able to breathe and see the sky, we know we are alive and we treasure the day. Whoever could do the same is one precious life belonging to mother earth. On the other side of earth, is a land full of creatures who do the same things like us every morning and these are the gazels, the buffalos, the elephants, the lions, the wolves, the cows, the koala bears, the penguins, the sea lions and many others like them. These countless lungs breathing on earth were deemed unimportant by humans. Humans have animals which work for them and they kill these animals if they are unable to do something that it wasn't born to do and has nothing to gain from. But no creature on earth is born with an oligation to do something, just like mothers are not born to do your housework, and children are not born for the pure intention to study. We study only because we know there is a use for it in future. But we laughed at these theories because we believed that we are superior to animals by being at the top of the food chain and it's only right that animals are born for us to eat, for we have every right to kill a life on earth which walks on all fours and is different from us.
We all come from mother earth and our remains return to the earth(soil) when we die. We don't belong to anybody, and no creature belongs to us. We have no right to kill. But humans kill not just for food, we kill in an abusive way, or just for the sake of seeking new adventures and challenges. We have a choice, but we all choose not to be contented.
To you, I am stupid and ignorant. To the animals, they get to live one more day out of their short life span - a life so short that they don't even get to see twenty years of sun and get the meaning of life out of it. Have I not thought about how my action is going to affect my life? Have I not asked myself how I'm going to live without meat for the next sixty to seventy years of my life? I don't need to know all the details about the world, I just know that this animal is deprived of it's life on earth because of my need to survive when I can actually survive on natural resources on the land of Gaia. Think for others, think for the other creatures that breathe the same air you breathe. I'm learning too. On my way to give up seafood, which is hard but not impossible.
Respect is treating others the way you want to be treated. For four years, I have never tried getting people to eat like me. Most of the time, people started the conversation and tried to argue and scoff me. Your perception of others only reflect your own character, as Ralph Waldo Emerson had said "People do not seem to realise that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character". People who think vegetarians are shallow, are truly shallow. Like I've said, some questions need not be asked so many times.
I'm constantly amending this post because there are many things which cannot be said and understood in this way. We need to realise and find out many things on our own. If you refuse to open up and try to understand it the second time you ask, then there's no point asking again and again.